We were instructed by Brains Brewery to salvage and dispose of a 100ft barge that had sunk alongside one of their pubs in Cardiff Docks. Throughout the course of the salvage there was a lot of interest from the media and public as the historic vessel had been a landmark at the site for many years. The location and nature of the job involved liasing with numerous public bodies including the Environment Agency, Cardiff Harbour Authority, Cardiff Council and the media.
We were issued a 17 day licence by the Environment Agency during which time the vessel had to be lifted out and removed from site. The task was completed in 10 days. During the process we had to instruct and oversee the following:
- Supply and install emergency oil pollution boom
- Appoint a diving team
- Appoint a crane for the contract lift of 100 tonnes
- Appoint and oversee the dismantling of the vessel
- Appoint a security team. The vessel had sunk alongside a public footpath so was in a very high profile location therefore security and health and safety were of the upmost importance.
- Liaise and communicate with the required public bodies including the Environment Agency and Harbour Authority
- Clean up the site after the vessel was removed
Find out more about our boatyard services